Sunday, November 6, 2016

The Problem of Perfection...

About one week ago I set out on a quest to find the perfect ukulele. Yes, the best ukulele, the uke of my dreams. I reasoned that finally I could stop thinking about my "next uke" because I would possess the ultimate absolute perfect instrument and I would be forever satisfied. I actually found the best ukulele on the planet and it was not very satisfying after all. Read on…

Sunday - I started out to design and draw my new perfect ukulele. I call it the Unolele. A hand built electric ukulele that is simple and easy to build. So easy to build anyone could do it, even a cave man. The Unolele would birth out of my Thunderbird but be even better as I improve and correct the design based on what I learned

"The Unolele would be even better."

It’s the perfect ukulele because:
  • Built by hand, proud of it. They joy of playing my own creation.
  • Concert scale, soprano length a great fit that is comfortable to play.
  • Unique, one of a kind. Tiger maple, dyed purple, looks fantastic.
  • Compact size, take it anywhere.

Thunderbird DIY Electric Uke

But… It started me thinking. I have always wanted a pineapple with it’s unique shape, and richer fuller sound.


Tuesday - I went back into research mode and I found the perfect ukulele. The Ohana Concert Pineapple. I’ll take the cedar top please, it is a beauty.

Ohana PKC-50
(photo from UKE Republic)

It’s perfect because:
  • Ohana makes good high quality instruments.
  • I’ve always wanted a pineapple shaped Uke.
  • Concert size pineapple is unique.
  • The cedar topped version looks great.

But… It started me thinking. I have a vague childhood memory of a plastic uke. I remember a cracked and broken plastic neck followed by my broken heart. Tears.


Thursday - I went back into research mode and I found the perfect ukulele. The Kala Waterman. The small size is so cute and the Sea Foam Green is a fabulous color, although I remember a white tops.

Makala Waterman


It’s perfect because:
  • Retro looks - say no more.
  • Low cost. Why not?
  • Take it anywhere. Play it anywhere.
  • Salve for my childhood  loss.

But… It started me thinking. If I am going to get a plastic Uke why not get the best one possible?


Saturday - I went back into research mode and I found the perfect ukulele. The Magic Fluke Flea, soprano size. The form and size is just right. Full 14” scale for good playability and good looks with those custom designs.

It’s perfect because:
  • The right size, small but not too small.
  • A unique shape, in color, that will stand out.
  • Cool customized soundboard, like the steampunk for added personal touch.
  • Nice hybrid design, wood and plastic, for durability.


Fluke Fleas


Fluke Flea - Steampunk


But…

The Wanting Fulfilled

After a time, you may find that having is not so pleasing a thing after all as wanting."


I quest for the perfect ukulele had started me thinking. I thought of Mr. Spock.
Mr. Spock in the Star Trek episode Amok Time said, “After a time, you may find that having is not so pleasing a thing after all as wanting. It is not logical, but it is often true."

I have come to a similar conclusion, but I also think there is more. The rock hard truth is that there is no such thing as the perfect ukulele. Why? After a week of flip-flopping I realized that I have many conflicting reasons to select a particular instrument.  No one single instrument meets every desire.

  • Small Size
  • Large Scale
  • High Quality
  • Low Price
  • Custom
  • Bright Sound
  • Full Rich Sound
  • Beautiful Wood
  • Water Proof
  • Acoustic
  • Electric
  • Unique
  • Traditional


Upon further review, forget all that and let me recant. There is a perfect ukulele. The perfect ukulele is the one in your hands that you are playing. The having when you are picking and strumming is way better then the wanting.

"The perfect ukulele is the one in your hands that you are playing."

No comments:

Post a Comment